Sunday 3 February 2008

Thursday 31st January 2008




Despite the fact that this is a very busy campsite and that a railway line runs less than 200m from our pitch, we slept very well. It appears that the trains don't run during the night, which is very handy.
The air temperature is slightly cooler today so the other campers were spared the trial of looking at my white legs and knobbly knees, although they did see my very pale arms. If I took the time to sunbathe like many of the other campers, then I would be brown like them but it just drives me mad!
We took time to look around the site - more of a town than a campsite – it really is huge with many of the pitches occupied by long term campers overwintering. I spoke to a Belgian guy with a motorhome a few pitches away from us. He and his wife have been here since October and are paying €7 a night (approx. £35 per week), which has to be very good value.
In the afternoon we walked along beside the railway line into the centre of Olhao and then to the port and old town. I have to say that the walk to the town and the commercial port were uninspiring but the view out from the promenade with its view of wetlands, sandbanks and islands was quite pleasant. The old town was also moderately interesting but, in summary, there is nothing here that makes me want to return.
Photos: Octopus drying with the Olhao port in the background; Boat in Olhao port – note the evil eye on the bow; Part of the intriguing contents of a partially derelict building on the way back to the campsite.

No comments: