Wednesday 7 October 2009

European Sojourn October and November 2009








Our planned two month sojourn in the Spring was reduced in duration due to parental health problems. We spent an enjoyable 4 weeks in France but attempted to do too much in too short a time and a lack of Internet Cafés meant that I did not produce a blog. The intervening period has been spent, planning and building a wood-burning oven. I have made my own bread for many years and have always fancied having a wood-fired oven in the garden. It was just a dream until I discovered plans for an oven on the Internet (http://www.fornobravo.com/) and got inspired! I have never laid a brick or mixed cement in my life and when I looked at the plans I decided that it was just too ambitious. Then a friend of mine, Les, took a look and was inspired too. Fortunately he has done a lot of building and offered to help. To cut a long story short, Les and I built it but I had to leave it without the surrounding walls built and without having fired it. I can't wait to use but I am also looking forward to the next adventure.
We are now starting a two month trip down to Sicily, spending two weeks getting there, four weeks on the island and two weeks getting back. At least that is the plan ......
Photos: Placing the keystone in the dome of the wood-fired oven; the final state of the oven just before we left.

No comments: