Thursday 10 May 2012

Wednesday 9th May – Holyhead, Anglesey


The weather forecast was not good for today but that didn't concern us as we had done the long walk yesterday and had planned a quiet day today. Jane was able to use the laundry facilities on the site and I planned to get up to date on emails and the blog. That was the plan but Jane had problems with the technology in the form of the tumble dryer eating pound coins whilst I had problems with the Internet technology. We had been warned that the Internet connection was unreliable but I was unable to get on all day. The Internet was working on the office computer and the wi-fi connection worked to the office from Henrietta but I couldn't get onto the Internet. The receptionist has offered to allow us access to the Internet from the office computer tomorrow morning so we will be able to check emails but I won't be able to post the blog.
We took a short walk in the morning up to the nearby Early Bronze Age standing stones. The pair of tall, thin monoliths looked very elegant, especially with the background of the huge stone mass of Holyhead Mountain. Unfortunately, the mass of power lines and poles rather spoilt the view.
We tried to visit the 'Irishmen's Huts' (an ancient settlement) shown on the OS map just a little further up the road but there was no access to the site.
In the afternoon the weather deteriorated and we were glad that we had walked in the morning.
Photos: The pair of standing stones at Plas Meilw.

2 comments:

Dweasle said...

As a fellow blogger - http://thesingingprobationofficer.blogspot.co.uk/ - I frequently wonder of anyone ever reads my efforts. So I thought I would let you know that you have at least one reader.

I am Brian Marshall from Woodbine Cottage, Compton Street, and we have met a couple of times at village functions. I saw your van in the village a couple of weeks ago and thought you were off on travels again. At least you are not under canvas, as we will be - and on our bikes - in two weeks' time. We are heading for Provence. Surely the weather will be better there??

On that topic, I hope things cheer up for you. Enjoy the rest of the trip, and I look forward to reading of your progress.


With best wishes -

Brian.

Henrietta Hobby said...

Thanks Brian and it is good to know that at least one person reads the blog.
Have a great time in Provence and I am sure that that you will have good weather. The food, wine and scenery will definitely be good!
I am going to have a look at your blog now.
Regards,
Martin.