Saturday 23 September 2023

Friday 15th September 2023 – Prutz, Austria

 

Another relaxing day but we made the great effort of walking into the town to have a lunchtime meal. We had spotted a restaurant that looked good but, as with many other establishments, it was closed. We headed back to the main square to the rather un-Austrian named Dave’s Café and Bar. We had a coffee and very good cake there yesterday and noted that they offered a ‘Tagesmenu’ (day menu) that changed each day. Today they were offering roast pork with noodle (more like a dumpling) and sauerkraut or a wild mushroom goulash with noodle and salad both priced at €17.50. The food was excellent and the beer was good too. The square had a number of fountains that entertained the children, who could run through them. However, we discovered that the fountains had another purpose. A group of horses and riders, obviously on a long trek, stopped, watered the horses and sat on the benches having a drink and a bite to eat. I don’t think that the café owners were very impressed as they had to clear up the mess that the horses left.
We needed more supplies, so we walked through the back streets of the town to the Spar supermarket on the edge. Amongst other things, I wanted to get some Austrian beer and I did indeed buy one bottle but I also spotted some Pilsner Urquell, one of my favourite Czech beers, reduced by 50% - I couldn’t resist that. Once we had paid, I discovered that they had reduced it by 75% and, in addition, all beer was reduced by 25%. I paid €0.97 (about 85p) for 4x330ml bottles of beer. I think that I must have been in my teens when I bought beer at that price!

Photos: Jane and Martin at Dave’s Café and Bar; Jane’s wild mushroom dish; The horses arrive – the cabaret was free of charge; A real feature of Austrian towns and villages is the farms and barns in the centre, normally the barns are attached to the farmhouse itself.




 

 

 

 

No comments: