Saturday 19 April 2008

Saturday 12th April 2008


We decided to have a totally relaxed day today and didn't leave the campsite, in fact we didn't stray more that a few yards from Henrietta.
I made some bread – a malted brown loaf and an olive spiral loaf, made by rolling out the dough quite thinly, covering it with sliced black olives and then rolling it back up. I used to make all of our bread at home but this was only the second time that I had made it on the Odyssey. It was great to feel the springy dough between my fingers and smell that wonderful aroma as the bread was baking.
We had the olive bread for tea with ham and cheese, an ideal combination and it was good to have some some more bread with more substance after all of the very pleasant but very holey Italian bread. Not that I am complaining about Italian bread as we have actually had some excellent bread of many types: wood oven cooked; olive bread; with added maize flour, giving a yellow colour and on one occasion (the only time that we have seen it), wholemeal rolls. With the exception of the wholemeal rolls, it has always been white bread and, almost invariably, full of holes.
I had enquired about Internet access and had been told that I would be able to connect my laptop but this proved not to be the case. I had to use their computer but the Internet connection wasn't working. After trying for some time, I was on the point of giving up when the owner arrived and explained that the connection had stopped working that morning. They were trying to contact their technical support when it burst into life and I was able to update the blogs, check emails and download lots of those wonderful BBC podcasts. It is great to be able to keep in contact with British life by listening to news, current affairs (From Our Own Correspondent, Crossing Continents), financial programmes (Money Box, In Business) and lifestyle programs (Excess Baggage, Ramblings with Clare Balding) and last, but by no means least, The Archers.
Whilst I was on the Internet, the owner told us that there was going to be a dance that night in their very impressive hall and, as campers, we were entitled to free entrance. It sounded interesting. So, at 21:40, just after it had started, I went out to find out what it was like. I got as far as 50m from the hall, heard the electronic organ playing ancient dance music and turned back.
Photos: Bread of the Day – Malted Brown and Olive Spiral.

No comments: