Monday 14 January 2008

Sunday 13th January 2008



There were gale force winds all night and they showed no signs of abating in the morning, however it was not raining when we woke, so the visit into the city was still on. That was until the thunderstorm hit over breakfast. It absolutely tipped it down all morning with a number of thunder and lightening episodes. We decided to stay put!
Jane had postulated a theory on a number of occasions that washing Henrietta during heavy rain would be a good idea. The motorhome had got extremely dirty recently and it is difficult to find anywhere to wash it as most campsites do not allow owners to do this. Jane not only threatened to wash Henrietta today but she actually did it! I was full of admiration. She donned wet weather gear and wellies and, looking exceptionally fetching, she went out into the storm armed with the long-handled brush. Meanwhile, I gave her moral support from the warm, dry and very comfortable interior. Although not sparkling (we couldn't use detergent), it was a vast improvement.
I enjoy making bread and, at home, I made almost all of our bread. I brought flour, recipes and equipment with us in September with the intention of making bread in all of the spare time that we would have. Needless to say it hasn't worked out that way but today, given that it is a wet day, I have decided to give it a go. I use a Kenwood Chef at home to mix the dough and had forgotten how messy it is to do it by hand. There was flour everywhere and the bowl, board and my hands were covered in lumps of sticky dough by the time that I had finished. We normally wash up in the motorhome but this time I had to take it to the campsite facilities. Still, it was worth it – the loaf came out very well and we ate some of it whilst it was still warm with the cassoulet.
Photos: Jane preparing for the Paris catwalk!

No comments: