Tuesday 8 January 2008

Sunday 6th January 2008




After filling with water and disposing of waste, we left La Rochelle heading for a campsite on the coast by Bordeaux. I was somewhat surprised that the diesel ignition light did not flash when I started the engine. I was even more surprised when we got out of the town and I discovered that the engine was back to normal with no power issues. We got all the way to the campsite, Camping Club Arcachon, without any problems or flashing lights but when we arrived, we did discover that we had lost one of the waste pipe brackets on the way. Still this is a very minor problem and I will be able to find some way of holding it in place.
We walked for 20 minutes into the centre of the town passed many villas built by the wealthy French in the Ville D'Hiver (Winter Town) overlooking the Ville D'Ete and the sea. The town is very smart and is invaded by the residents of Bordeaux during the summer. Even at this time, it was quite busy being the last weekend before the schools return and it was great to see all of the children whizzing around on the temporary ice rink outside the Tourist Information Office.
It was much warmer in Arcachon with the thermometer showing nearly 20°C and the fact that we did not have the heating on all evening suggests that this was accurate. Even during our walk with strong winds along the promenade it was relatively warm compared with the bitter weather before Christmas. I suspect that we will find much cooler weather before we reach southern Portugal and Spain.
Photos: Skating – I fancied I ride on one of these chairs but I didn't have anyone to push me!; Arcachon promemade.

No comments: