Monday 28 January 2008

Tuesday 15th January 2008

On to Portugal today but we had the worst driving weather of the Odyssey so far. The wind was very strong and gusty, affecting the steering during the bigger gusts and this was combined with torrential rain. We experienced how bad the conditions were early on in the day. Whilst Jane was paying for the campsite, I moved Henrietta to empty the grey water and top up with fresh water. It was raining and windy before I started but almost as soon as I got out of the motorhome, it intensified. My coat and leather hat (when held on) protected my top half but it the less than 4 minutes that I was outside, my bottom half was soaked through to the skin. Our onward journey was delayed whilst I changed trousers, socks and shoes.
We had intended to visit Vilenca do Mino just over the border in Portugal but it wasn't worth trying to do any sightseeing in that weather. We passed what should have been lovely views, including some over the sea such as the spot where we stopped for lunch. I could have taken some photographs but they would have shown a grey sky, grey sea and mountains virtually obscured by the grey rain.
We hoped to stay in a small campsite east of Caminha but found no sign of life and the gates were closed, so we went on to a larger site at Caminha. As we arrived, the weather improved, that is to say that there was a brief interlude in the downpour. It was however quite mild and we did not need the heating on. We spent the evening snug in the motorhome, out of the wind and occasional heavy showers.
Photos: None - Imagine a uniformly grey image and you will see all that we saw!

No comments: