Friday 16 July 2010

Friday 25th June 2010 – Talybont on Usk




Wonderful sunny weather again so we decided to walk the Henry Vaughan Trail that we had seen detailed on an information board on the canal towpath. The trail took us alongside the canal to the end of the village where we crossed over the canal and headed across fields. Along the walks there were posts with pull-out boards that had a few lines of Vaughan’s poetry. Some were a little obscure but others were enjoyable:
‘Here fountains flow,
Birds sing, beasts feed, fish leap,
And th’earth stands fast.’
That poem was by a fast-flowing stream that was making its way down to the River Usk.
After walking past a group of ponies with many foals we came to a tall stone stile and this is when disaster struck. I went over first and slipped on the small stone steps on the far side. Falling backwards, totally out of control, I hit the top of a wall very hard. The left side of my back hit the top edge of the wall and I fell to the ground in considerable pain. It took me a few minutes before I could get up but I decided that the best option was to keep moving and continued the walk. Fortunately, there were very few stiles, it was not a long distance and in amongst the pain, it was a pleasant walk.
Back at the van I applied a pack of frozen sweetcorn (we didn’t have enough peas!) to the back and we had sweetcorn with the evening meal! The motorhome has a fixed bed and its height meant that I had to climb onto it and then crawl across it on all fours. Then came the problem of trying to lie down and whilst Jane was very sympathetic she couldn’t help laughing at my clumsy attempts and many curses. I then discovered how difficult it is to sleep with cracked ribs!
Photos: The White Hart stands next to the muddy-coloured canal in Talybont; The frozen sweetcorn in position – having got into this position, it was very difficult to get out of it!

No comments: