Thursday 1 July 2010

Tuesday 22nd June 2010 - Aberbran








Looking at the map, I discovered that this area is relatively flat – a cycling opportunity!
Jane wanted to have a quiet day so this fitted well with my plans. I had spotted a Roman Fort nearby and we had thought about walking to it but this was an obvious target for cycling.
On the way at Aberycir I deviated to take a look at the church, built on the site of an ancient Celtic church indicated by the tell-tale circular churchyard. It is a lovely plain church and was made more interesting by the church history provided for visitors. The visitors book was especially interesting with entries made by a number of Italian prisoners of war in 1942, apparently accompanied by members of the Women's Land Army (W.L.A) who also signed the book.
Behind the church is a Norman Motte and Bailey castle but I couldn't see it from the church and, as it is on private land, I wasn't able to visit it.
I cycled on over the River Ysgir and took an unmarked road down to Y Gaer Farm and the Y Gaer Roman Fort. This is actually on the opposite bank of the river from the Motte and Bailey castle but trees obscure the view between them. The Normans obviously considered the area to be important because of the previous Roman occupation and put up their own castle to stamp their authority. I asked directions from a group of walkers in the farmyard and they seemed quite knowledgeable. I asked if they knew whether there had been any recent excavations and they said that they were just about to start – they were archaeologists! It turned out that the site must be an important one as the defensive banks were very clear and there are extant stretches of Roman wall. Three of the four gates have been excavated, the fourth being under the farm buildings. I understood from the archaeologists that fields around the fort show signs of considerable occupation. I would love to know more about the site but CADW have not provided any information boards – I will have to check it on the Internet.
The timing was excellent – back to Henrietta for lunch and Wimbledon.
Photos: The church of St. Cynidr and St. Mary at Aberyscir; The visitors' book with the Italian POW signatures; One of the gates at Y Gaer Roman Fort showing the Roman road.

No comments: