Thursday 1 July 2010

Wednesday 16th June 2010 – Talybont on Usk








We have walked more on this holiday than we ever have but I was aware that my bike had been on the back of the motorhome for six weeks without being used. In my defence, many of the areas that we had stayed in were very hilly and I am certainly not a mountain cyclist. However I had noticed that National Cycling Route 8 goes through Talybont on Usk and gave me the opportunity to visit three reservoirs and view the Brecon Beacons. The weather was lovely, blue skies, not too hot and with a light breeze, so there was no excuse. After cleaning the bike, I set off through the village, over the canal following signs to Talybont Reservoir and joined Route 8 after a few hundred metres.
Crossing over the dam of the reservoir I came to the course of the old Brecon to Merthyr Tydfil railway that was closed in 1964. This is now a bridleway and forms part of the cycle route. The surface not asphalted but is in reasonable condition without too many potholes. The fact that the cycle route followed the railway line was one of the reasons that I chose to cycle it – the gradient couldn't be too great. However, the line ascends steadily alongside the reservoir and beyond for a total of 5 miles before it reaches the pass. Most of the track is wooded on both sides but there are occasional breaks that allow lovely views over the Talybont Reservoir and the surrounding hills of the Brecon Beacons.
At the pass, the track reached a minor road and Route 8 joined, travelling down a steep hill until deviating onto another stone track. At this point I stopped to investigate the tunnel through which the railway used to run. The Torpantau Tunnel at 1313 feet (400 metre) was the highest mainline railway tunnel in Britain but I found the railway trackbed leading to the tunnel flooded. A spring was flowing directly onto the line but it was possible to approach the tunnel along the bank. As I arrived, a school party, well equipped with overalls, hard hats and torches. This is a very popular area for walking, adventure holidays and training. I had already past a Youth Hostel and two outdoor adventure centres and I would pass another two later in the ride. At the Talybont Reservoir a group of servicemen carrying huge packs were starting on a hike and two youth groups were crossing the road close to the tunnel. On the way back from the tunnel I past a serviceman being briefed “In order to complete your mission you need to lead your men through this tunnel. No torches are available ........”. This reminded me of the leadership training that I have received although I never quite understood the benefit of attempting to get barrels of oil over barriers when my job was in Information Technology. Running over the Mendip Hills didn't do much for me either physically or in my job. Still, this guy was at least in the military and it was therefore more relevant.
The cycle route descended to a small waterfall where it joined a minor road that took me to two more reservoirs – Pentwyn and Pontsticill. I noticed that my old map showed these as a single reservoir and this is understandable as the Pentwyn overflows directly into the Pontsticill and there is only a narrow bridge between them. I crossed over this bridge and found the line of the preserved Brecon Mountain Railway. I had heard the whistles of the steam locos on the journey down from the pass but there were no trains on view whilst I was there.
I returned to the head of the Pentwyn reservoir and took a small road north of it until I came to a lovely tea shop. Here I had a refreshing pot of tea and a large piece of chocolate cake before I rode on to the Owl's Grove car park and picnic area where I had lunch.
The road from here is very steep and I have to confess that I walked rather than cycled on much of this stretch. This took me back to the pass where I rejoined the old railway track. Then the glorious 5 miles descent to Talybont Reservoir during which I didn't have to peddle once – heaven! All those views without any effort – I am thinking of joining the 'Down Hill Only Club'. I arrived back after a wonderful 20 mile cycle ride and sat and relaxed in the sun by Henrietta.
I really needed to get some blog posted and Wifi has been so difficult to find on this trip. This meant that we had little option but to return to the pub for another pint of excellent real ale. In truth, the café at the local shop also has WiFi but, after the bike ride, I felt that I deserved a pint.
On the way back we met a man with bandaged feet hobbling towards the shower block. It turned out that he was a sailor on intensive leadership training. He had been doing this for a few days and had many more to go. And yes, he did go through the tunnel without torches and the packs weighed 80 lbs!
Photos: Talybont Reservoir; The peak of Waen-rydd and hamlet of Abercynafon; The Torpantau Tunnel.

No comments: