We woke to a bright blue sky with that lovely view down the
canal. The small, basic wooden hut just a few metres down the tow path was shut
but yesterday many locals sat outside it drinking beer, wine and coffee. It
must be the smallest bar that I have seen.
I walked into the town for croissants and found a small market in the square in
front of the church. We really know that we are in France now! Fish, meat,
cheese and vegetable stalls provide supplies for the locals. We stopped at a
large supermarket yesterday and stocked up with French goodies, so we had no room
for more. The croissants were excellent and I also bought a ‘ferme’ loaf for
lunch. I really like Camembert and I had bought a Isigny-sur-Mer au lait cru (unpasteurised)
Camembert at the supermarket. It was really ripe and, every time that we opened
the fridge, the smell filled the van. I know that we shouldn’t keep cheese in
the fridge but we were concerned that we might be asphyxiated by the fumes
during the night if we had not done so.
We travelled through Belgium and Luxemburg before entering Germany. I bought a
little diesel in France (@€2.339 per litre) and then filled up in Luxemburg
where the tax on fuel is much lower. I still set a personal record because,
despite the diesel costing much less at €2.095 per litre, I spent €167 (approx.
£143) to fill the tank.
We arrived at the Saarlouis stellplatz (aire) to find a building site but there
was still space for motorhomes and a good number were already parked up. I had
found that there was a Greek restaurant and a bierkeller (bar) close to the
aire and we set off to the restaurant, which is on the banks of the Saar river.
As we approached, we were assailed by the very loud, bassy music coming from
the bar. The restaurant was just a few metres away and we sat on the balcony
looking over the river and watching the very large cruise boat leave its
moorings and head for the next stop on the Saar. The meal was very good but it
was a little strange to be eating a Greek meal whilst listening to continuous
disco music.
Photos: The Saint-Venant market and church; The Saar river
and cruise boat at Saarlouis.
Monday, 28 September 2026
Friday 25th September – Saarlouis, Germany
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment