I went back to the museum at 9 o’clock when it opened. I
have my own wood-fired oven and I often bake an oven-full of bread in it. I was
very keen to see how they made their bread and how they used their oven.
First stop was the bakehouse to see the oven. We had noticed the smoke rising
from the oven before the museum opened and, sure enough, the fire was roaring
away. Walking back to the farmhouse, I found the kitchen and asked permission
to enter. A large saucepan of water was boiling on the stove and the kitchen
was very warm and humid. The two bakers, Angelika and Rosemarie, were kneading
the dough in a massive trough. It takes 30 minutes to knead the 65 kg of dough,
then it is smoothed over and wetted. The dough isn’t covered but the very
steamy atmosphere stops it from drying out. After half an hour, they shaped the
dough and put it into floured baskets for the final rise. I was really
surprised to learn that the traditional Bavarian loaf size is three pounds,
not measured in kilograms. I know that they use imperial pounds in Brittany but
I had no idea that the measure was used in Germany.
Rosemarie pulled the fire out of the oven into a large tray that was then
stored under the oven. Angelika ferried the loaves from the house kitchen to
the bakehouse whilst Rosemarie mopped the oven to remove the ash and residual
pieces of charcoal. They checked the temperature of the oven by throwing a
little flour into different parts of the oven. If the flour turns black, the
oven is too hot but if it slowly turns brown, the temperature is correct.
Satisfied that the temperature was correct, it was time to put the loaves in. Working
as a well-drilled team, Angelika brought each basket across, tipping the dough
onto the peel and Rosemarie expertly placed it in the oven. The door was closed
and the loaves left to cook for 30 minutes before they were all removed and
checked. With a wood-fired oven the floor temperature will vary in different
areas. Each loaf was checked and the ones with a darker bottom were then placed
back into the cooler areas. The door was closed again and, after a total baking
time of approximately one hour and forty five minutes, the loaves were taken
out. This seemed to be a very long baking time even given that the loaves are
very large. However, they had a digital thermometer and I checked the
temperature of the oven before the loaves were put in and it was 220°C. Putting 65 kg of
dough would reduce the temperature despite the size and thermal mass of the
oven. I checked the temperature straight after the baked loaves had been taken
out and it had dropped to 115°C.
That explained why the baking was so long – my 1 kg loaves only take about 45
minutes but the oven is normally hotter when I put the dozen loaves in and it
is certainly well over 115°C
at the end.
The loaves were taken over to reception and I paid for my loaf. Angelika and
Rosemarie were very patient, especially as much of the conversation had to be
done with Google Translate. They kindly let me photograph the recipe and showed
me the ingredients. One of these was intriguing and I will probably not be able
to get it in England – Brotgewurz, ground bread spices. Like many German
breads, this loaf has added spices and, although the packet listed coriander,
caraway and fennel but I don’t know the proportions – I will have to experiment
when I get home. Angelika asked me to send photographs when I make the bread at
home and we exchanged email addresses so that I could do it. With many thanks
to the master bakers, I made my way back to the van to have lunch with Jane and
we enjoyed the delicious warm, crusty loaf.
After lunch we set off for our next port of call – Regensburg. We had
identified an ACSI campsite that would give us access to public transport into
the city – Campingplatz Freizeitinsel at Bad Abbach. The campsite is separated
from the town by the Danube and a canal but there are bridges that will allow
us to cross. The journey was very pleasant, mostly on small roads through more
of that lovely Bavarian countryside with its open fields and woods set in a
gentle rolling landscape.
Photos: The oven; Kneading the
dough; Smoothed dough rising; Shaped loaves in their baskets; Putting the
loaves into the oven; All loaves in the oven – beautifully placed; Tapping the
first loaf out to make sure that it is properly baked; The final results; Wood
stacked in the oven for the next day of baking; With the master bakers.
Saturday, 10 October 2026
Wednesday 7th October – Bad Abbach, Germany
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










No comments:
Post a Comment